Spring is Here!
OK - there is still snow on the ground but we are close. This will be a big year for the greenway. A few upcoming events to know about follow. Look back soon for more details and Mark your calendars!
- Saturday May 2nd - Stoneham Greenway Clean up
- Sunday May 20th - 30 mile Boston Greenbelt Walk - http://www.bostongreenbeltwalk.org/
- Saturday June 13th - Stoneham Greenway walk and historic tour (1.7 miles)
Greenway Next Steps
A number of people have asked about the next steps for the Greenway. MassDOT is still targeting August to put the project out to bid. There are a few steps needed to get there. The major items are listed below.
1. The engineering firm is completing 100% plans now that Stoneham's warrant article passed in January and MassDOT is in review for NEPA Approval
2. Once NEPA approval is received, the towns need to get independent appraisals of any easements and negotiate with the land owners.
3. Stoneham needs to accept a short stretch of land from the MBTA.
Then MassDOT goes to bid!
The Greenway Passes in Stoneham by a wide Margin.
Thank you Stoneham. It was amazing to see 650 people fill town hall to vote on the Greenway. Thank you to all the residents, town officials and business who spent countless hour working to make this happen. Monday January 12 was a great day for the town and for the TriCommunity Greenway.
Stoneham Greenway On Stoneham TV:
Thank you for the amazing support from the residents of Stoneham. We look forward to a time when these children will be using the Greenway!
Interactive Map of the 75% Greenway Design
Do you want to know where the trail goes, what business it will go by and how easy it will be to use? The plans page of this site has an interactive Google map that allows you to zoom in and look around at the details.
The Tri-Community Greenway, will bring open recreational space to Stoneham, Woburn and Winchester. The Stoneham portion will be located on a right of way of the Stoneham Branch of the Boston & Lowell (later the Boston & Maine and MBTA) railroad, which stopped passenger service in 1958. This linear park will create a place to bike, walk and enjoy nature in the heart of our community.